Teen tragically dies after eating food at school formal: 'Lost without her'

The high school student in the US tragically lost her life after consuming food while at her winter formal dance.

A high school student has sadly died after accidentally consuming food that contained nuts while attending her school’s winter formal dance.

Alyssa 'Aly' West, from California, had a nut allergy and experienced an anaphylactic reaction to the food she ate while at the dance. She was administered CPR and admitted to a nearby hospital on January 28.

She was then transferred to the Children's Hospital of Orange County, where she was put on life support but tragically died several days later as her body had been deprived of oxygen for too long.

Aly West, who tragically died from a nut allergy, and her parents Liza and Jake.
Aly West's parents shares their heartbreak after their daughter tragically died after accidentally consuming nuts. Source: gofundme

An anaphylactic reaction is caused by exposure to an allergen and can cause difficulty in breathing and shock. A reaction can occur within seconds or minutes of exposure to an allergen.

Aly was a cheer captain, dancer, Model United Nations debater and an excellent student, according to a GoFundMe page set up for her family.

“By all accounts, she had an incredibly bright future ahead. But more than that, she was a beloved daughter, niece, cousin, granddaughter and trusted friend. She was a vibrant, loving and caring soul — always with a smile on her face,” a Facebook post shared by Anaphylaxis Network Australia read.

West’s parents, Liza and Jake, shared their immense loss with her passing on Facebook and called for people to put kindness first as they grieve their daughter.

Aly West wears a cheerleading uniform as she smiles on a set of stairs.
Aly had a bright future ahead of her, and is deeply missed by her family. Source: GoFundMe

“It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of our beautiful and loving daughter, Aly, as she went home to be with our heavenly Father. Aly was the centre of our world and the light of our lives. We are lost without her,” they wrote.

“If anything becomes of Aly’s tragic nut allergic reaction, the one thing she would want is for everyone to come together, regardless of their differences, and treat each other with grace and kindness.

“Her short time on this planet touched so many. Please help us grieve by remembering to love like Aly—that is, to help each other rise up, and make a difference in this world. Our Aly was truly special.”

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.