Three men jailed for killing man on his doorstep in Whitechapel

Iron Miah died after being shot in the head in east London (Metropolitan Police/PA) (PA Archive)
Iron Miah died after being shot in the head in east London (Metropolitan Police/PA) (PA Archive)

Three men have been jailed for killing a man on his doorstep in Whitechapel.

Iron Miah, 40, died from a catastrophic brain injury two days after he was shot on his doorstep in Nelson Street on November 19, 2019.

Mohammed Moshaer Ali, 31, Antonio Afflick-McLeod, 32, and Aaron Campbell, 32, were all sentenced to life imprisonment for murder at the Old Bailey on Wednesday.

In the days leading up to his murder Mr Miah’s family described how he had received messages on his phone that were making him anxious.

On the night of the murder he had returned home at about 10pm and then received a call from Ali.

After the call, he went out and got into a Honda Civic on Nelson Street and spoke to the people inside.

After leaving the Honda he then sent a message on his phone saying “viewing done” to Ali.

As Mr Miah was walking home after visiting a nearby shop, a man got out of the passenger door of a parked Volkswagen Polo and shot him in the head.

The gunman got back into the car and drove off followed by the Honda Civic that Mr Miah had visited.

The VW Polo and the gun used in the attack have never been recovered.

The Old Bailey heard that police believed Afflick-McLeod and Campbell were the men in the Polo.

Detectives were able to track communications between the suspects who had been using burner phones after the killing.

The day before Mr Miah’s murder Afflick-McLeod bought a SIM card from a convenience store on Movers Lane in Barking at around 4.30pm.

The SIM was crucial in the evidence and linked him to communications with Ali.

When Afflick-McLeod was arrested – a considerable amount of drugs and a sawn-off-shotgun were found at his home.

Ali made a number of calls to the police in the days after the murder, providing officers with false intelligence.

Once charged and remanded he also encouraged a prison officer at HMP Belmarsh to tell the police lies in order to implicate one of his co-defendants.

Detective Chief Inspector David Whellams said: “My team worked tirelessly over a long period of time to ensure that Iron’s family could receive the justice they deserve.

“This was a well planned, deliberate and callous act of violence in a residential area.

“Nobody deserves to be the victim of such brutality and the three people jailed today will have many years to reflect on that. Our streets are safer now they are behind bars.

“I would like to pay tribute to Iron’s family, who have been extremely supportive of the investigation in the face of a long road to justice, while living with the trauma of losing their loved one. My thoughts are with them today.”

The three were convicted of the murder of Mr Miah at the Old Bailey on Tuesday January 9, four years after he was shot on his doorstep in Tower Hamlets.

At the Old Bailey Ali, from Dagenham, was sentenced to a minimum of 36 years for the murder. He had also been convicted of perverting the course of justice.

Antonio Afflick-McLeod, from Ilford, was sentenced to a minimum of 34 years.

He was also sentenced for drugs offences, as well as possession of a firearm and possession of pepper spray.

Campbell, from Fulham. was sentenced to a minimum of 31 years.