Advertisement

Two more arrests in connection with deaths of teenage boys after stabbing attack in Bristol

Two more people have been arrested in connection with the deaths of two teenage boys in Bristol on Saturday - bringing the total number detained to four.

A 20-year-old man was arrested this morning while a second man, 22, was arrested this afternoon. Both are in custody.

It follows a stabbing attack in Ilminster Avenue, Bristol, at around 11.20pm on Saturday that left two teenagers dead.

They died in hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning.

One of those who died has been identified as 15-year-old Mason Rist.

The formal identification process for the second victim has not yet been completed but police believe him to be 16-year-old Max Dixon. Both were previously named locally.

Two people - a 44-year-old man and a 15-year-old boy - were arrested hours after the two boys were killed and remain in police custody.

A vehicle has also been seized.

Avon and Somerset Police previously said the teenagers were stabbed shortly before a group of people fled the scene in a car.

It is not yet known whether the attackers and victims were known to each other.

One witness told Sky News how she ran into the street to help one of the fatally wounded teenagers after returning home from celebrating her son's birthday.

"I had his head in my lap, telling him to stay with us, and just cradled him."

The woman, who said she knew the teenager, described him as "a good boy, not a troublemaker at all".

Bristol Commander Supt Mark Runacres said: "It is with great sadness that we confirm the names of the two young boys, Mason Rist and Max Dixon, who died following the incident on Saturday night.

"Any death is awful, but the loss of Mason and Max, who had their whole lives in front of them, is particularly tragic and my heart breaks for the families who have to endure such unimaginable pain and suffering. Our thoughts remain with them during this time.

"We have a team of highly professional, dedicated officers who are working 24/7 to identify those involved in this dreadful incident and bring them to justice. Our specialist family liaison officers continue to support and update the families and informed them earlier about the arrests we've made today."

He added: "The devastation felt by the community following this incident is clear. More than 150 people attended a vigil near the scene yesterday evening (Sunday 28 January) while there was also a large turnout at a residents' meeting earlier today.

"I'd like to reassure everyone of our commitment to working with residents, our partners in the council, staff in schools and the many others in the wider community.

"Our investigation is progressing well, with four people arrested so far and more arrests are to come. We are committed to doing everything we can to hold to account those responsible for this horrendous crime and to provide answers to Max's and Mason's families."

Police said the local community should expect a heightened police presence in the area in the coming days.