Two-year-old girl from Scotland saved her neighbours from flat fire

A two-year-old girl who saved two neighbours from a flat fire with her quick thinking has been praised by firefighters.

Alloweigh Frame alerted her mother after she spotted smoke billowing from a block of flats near her home in Lanark, South Lanarkshire, in Scotland.

She insisted her mother Isla, who was in the kitchen making dinner at the time, call firefighters and urged her to take notice.

Mrs Frame, 38, initially thought her daughter, who is neurodivergent, had only seen a fire on the television.

The youngster shouted "mummy, mummy, fire, hot, fire, burny".

Mrs Frame said: "She grabbed my jeans pocket and dragged me through the house and I looked out the window and there was smoke billowing out the windows."

Mrs Frame added she feared people could be inside the ground floor flat that was on fire and immediately dialled 999.

She said: "The fire brigade came and it took them two hours to put out whatever it was. There was a gas supply as well so it could have been a lot worse."

Firefighters found two people in the building and escorted them to safety unharmed.

Alloweigh has since been recognised for her response with a special award at Lanark Community Fire Station.

Mrs Frame said a representative of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) Family Support Trust was nearly in tears as they talked about how Alloweigh raised the alarm.

"He said never in his 41-year career had he known someone so young alert them to a fire," she said.

"He said thanks to your little girl there are two people walking the streets today that might not have been.

"It's crazy. I'm super proud of her."

Read more from Sky News:
Smoke from parcel centre fire visible for miles

Bomb squad called after 'suspicious items' found

Station commander Paul Mathieson presented Alloweigh with a certificate of appreciation signed by area commander Jim Quinn on her fire station visit.

Alloweigh was also treated to a tour of the fire station, a seat in a fire engine and a turn using one of the fire hoses.

Mr Mathieson said: "Alloweigh's quick thinking alerted our crews to an emergency incident and, thanks to this, we were able to act swiftly and extinguish the fire without it spreading or causing any casualties.

"For a two-year-old to have the confidence and awareness to identify that something was wrong and then alert their parents is very impressive."